Lack of activity and no reduction in food intake can quickly see a dog put on weight which in turn places weight on the limbs when walking. The buoyancy of the water supports the dog while in the treadmill and the viscosity of the water gently works the muscles which increases the heart rate and builds muscle whilst burning fat.
We would use the treadmill for Obesity because:
- The buoyancy of the water supports the limbs
- It provides maximum flexion and extension of the limbs
- Quickly increases muscle mass and burns fat
- Very easy to observe the range of movement (ROM) through the glass sides
- The dog is unable to cheat unlike in the pool where they have a tendency to tuck their hind legs up making it difficult to get a good rom.
If you believe your dog is in need of Hydrotherapy, or your Vet has recommended treatment, first thing you need to do is call us on 01635 521915 or send us an email at info@ActNow-Newbury.co.uk