Cardiovascular fitness (heart and lungs)
The increased resistance as the limbs move through the water quickly builds muscle and improves cardio-vascular fitness. The hydrostatic pressure helps to reduce localised swelling and oedema in joints and limbs. This helps to promote a healthier circulatory system and lymphatic system.
We would use the treadmill for cardiovascular fitness because:
- The buoyancy of the water supports the limbs
- It provides maximum flexion and extension of the limbs
- Quickly increases muscle mass as we do interval training
- Very easy to observe the range of movement (ROM) through the glass sides
- The dog is unable to cheat unlike in the pool where they have a tendency to tuck their hind legs up making it difficult to get a good rom.
If you believe your dog is in need of Hydrotherapy, or your Vet has recommended treatment, first thing you need to do is call us on 01635 521915 or send us an email at info@ActNow-Newbury.co.uk